Have you ever just needed …like really needed a steaming bowl of sponge and custard like your Grandma used to make ?? Well when I remembered the jar of Duerr’s Rhubarb & Custard jam ( Yep a jam tasting of rhubarb and custard … I kid you not !) in my cupboard … a sponge pud was quite literally all I could think of !! So after tea this evening I astounded the boys with my amazing culinary skills and had a hot steaming bowl of jam sponge and custard sat in front of them within 10 minutes of me entering the kitchen … A great quick fix for a much loved pudding !! How ? I hear you cry !! Well read on and you shall find out …
Jam Sponge Pudding
4oz Margarine or Butter ( I use Stork)
4oz caster sugar
2 med free range eggs
4oz Self raising Flour
3-4 tablespoons Jam
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
2. Add the eggs and beat them in quickly before adding all the flour and combine until you have a nice smooth batter.
3. Grease your pudding bowl well then put the jam in the bottom of the bowl. Pour the cake batter on top of the jam and level it out with the back of a spoon or a spatula.
4. Cover the bowl tightly with cling film and place the bowl in the microwave. Cook on high for 6-8 minutes.
5. When cooked remove the cling film and place a plate on top of the bowl and flip over. The jam may slip off so just spoon it back on top.
6. Now slice into 4-6 wedges … drench with custard .. and be transported back to your childhood !
Can puddings get any easier ???
The Rhubarb & Custard Jam was very kindly sent to me from Duerr’s to use in my baking . Many Thanks .