It’s Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack !!! The most eagerly awaited show of the year !!!! First week back on our screens heralded Cake Week !! Which was greeted with a Hurrah and indeed a huzzah !!! We all like a bit of cake !! I was gratified to see that the 3 challenges weren’t stupidly stupid and irrelevant ( … since when has cake ever been irrelevant ?? In fact it’s the most relevant thing in every aspect of our daily lives …surely ????)
I decided to hop skip and jump over the Walnut cake and the Black forest gateaux and for my entry into this years Week One of the Great Bloggers bake Off I opted to bring you a simple Classic Madeira …. so here you go …
- 175g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- grated zest 1 lemon
- few drops vanilla extract
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- For the icing
- 2tbsp Icing sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Heat oven to 170C/150C fan/gas 3.
- Butter and line the base of a 900g loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Using an electric whisk, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy then beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the lemon zest and vanilla. Now beat in the flour and almonds until you have a thick batter. The batter should be loose enough that it falls off a wooden spoon, if it’s too thick mix in a splash of milk.
- Pour the batter into the tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 55 mins – 1hr .Remove from the oven then leave to cool for 15 mins then remove from the tin, peel away the paper and leave on a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
- Make the icing by mixing the icing sugar and lemon juice together. you want the icing to be quite thick so it can be drizzled over the top. Decorate with candied peel if you wish
- The loaf will keep in an airtight container for three days.- however mine lasted less than 24 hours !! But I do live with a horde of gannets !!!!
If you would like to join in with The Great Bloggers Bake Off … head on over to see Jenny at http://www.mummymishaps.co.uk …