January 4th 2011
This morning , waking with a resolve to make healthy food and start the detox , I was greeted with a freezing cold and snowy outdoors … so my resolve weakened and the iceberg was shut firmly away in the salad crisper ! Instead I decided to make this …
Butternut Squash , Red Pepper & Chili Soup
1 lg Butternut squash , peeled
1 or 2 Red Peppers
1 Red chili or 1tsp chili flakes
Vegetable stock (enough to cover the veggies)
Salt & pepper and any other herbs and spices you wish to add to spice it up
1. Chop all the veg into bitesize pieces
2. Place in pan and cover with hot stock
3. Bring to the boil on the hob
4. Simmer until veggies are soft (approx 20 mins)
5. Add seasoning , to taste
6. Take off the hob and blitz away with a hand blender or food processor to your hearts content !
7. Serve with crusty bread and a dollop of creme fraiche or a sprinkling of crumbled stilton … should you feel the need
2nd January 2011
My Sister in law and her sister like to do a wee bit of baking and making …. and a biggie has been the Baileys Cheesecake ! So this Christmas on a jaunt down South to spend Boxing day with them all I decided to make my very own Baileys Cheesecake and take it with me for the experts opinion …. Now in truth … on the night I got a little bit tipsy(ahem!) and I can only actually remember their older brother Sean saying how lovely it was …. a compliment much appreciated !!!! Cheers Seany boy ….
So here’s the recipe … please make , chill and enjoy ………
Baileys & Chocolate Cheesecake
100g Disgestive biscuits
100g Hobnob biscuits
100g unsalted butter , plus extra for greasing
125g Dark chocolate , broken into pieces
750g Cream cheese
300ml Double Cream
100g icing sugar
75ml Baileys Cream Liquer (tho to be honest for an extra boozy morsel I put 150ml in …)
Cocoa Powder , to dust
1. Crush the biscuits in a plastic bag with a rolling pin . Melt the butter and 50g chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water (I microwaved it for speed … but be careful not to burn the chocolate if using this method). Once melted stir the butter and choc into the biscuits .
2. Grease a 23cm springform tinwith the ringside UNclasped , line the base with baking paper so that it hangs outside of the base . Fasten the clasp. Grease the sides of the tin liberally. Press the biscuit mixture into the base and then chill until needed.
3.Put cream cheese in bowl and beat until smoth . In a separate bowl whip the cream lightly with the icing sugar then add the sofetened cream cheese.Add the baileys and stir well.
4. Melt the remaining chocolate then set aside to cool to room temp.
5. Dollop the cheesecake mixture onto the chilled biscuit base and smooth with a pallette knife. Drizzle over the remaining chocolate and swirl with a skewer.
6. Chill for at least 2 hours . To serve the cheeesecake , realease it from the tin by running a hot knife around the inside of the tin BEFORE unclipping the clasp. then use the paper to lift the cake out of the tin and slide onto a serving plate .Peel off the paper and dust with cocoa powder.
Serves 12 … ENJOY xx